How to get out of GNOME? (resolved)

Jay O'Brien jayobrien at att.net
Sat Oct 30 23:51:10 PDT 2004

Jonathan Chen wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 30, 2004 at 10:27:41PM -0700, Jay O'Brien wrote:
>
>>Andrew Jones wrote:

>>>ctrl+alt+backspace. It crashes the xserver though, but it'll exit.
>>
>>Nope. It doesn't work for me. With gdm/X running, ctl+alt+bksp goes
>>first to black screen then comes back with a new logon window. If I
>>do it enough times, it reports to the virtual terminal "The display
>>server has been shut down about 6 times in the last 90 seconds, it
>>is likely that something bad is going on. I will wait for two minutes
>>before trying again on display :0." and then it comes back on.
>

> Turn the gdm entry in /etc/ttys to "off". kill -HUP 1. Then kill the
> gdm process.

There is no gdm entry in /etc/ttys. kill -HUP 1 doesn't seem to have
any effect. However.....

In top, killing XFree86 or gdmlogin restarts GNOME. killing them both
results in a "No such process" error on gdmlogin process and GNOME
restarts. However, killing the gdm binary that is in "poll" state
does the job; killing it causes all four of the processes to drop
out of the top display.

Interesting. Thanks everyone, your suggestions helped me find an
answer that works. I don't think it should be this difficult, tho!

Jay