make buildworld.........24 hours????

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Sat Oct 30 04:52:50 PDT 2004

   Kris Kennaway wrote:

     That's not unreasonable - the performance killer will be your lack
     of
memory, which means that you'll be swapping a lot while compiling.

Kris

   One thing I have to wonder - how compatible is 'make buildworld' with
   multiple build processes(e.g. 'make -j4 buildworld')? I know some
   makefiles don't get along well with the -j parameter, but if
   buildworld is okay with it, this may offer a way to keep the processor
   busy rather than waiting for disk access all the time, which could
   make things faster, especially on such low-memory machines.
   -BB