Xorg86 -config error

Kevin D. Kinsey, DaleCo, S.P. kdk at daleco.biz
Fri Oct 29 16:12:42 PDT 2004

Lloyd Hayes wrote:

> I think that I have this figured out.
>
> On the X.Org website under New Port Users, it says that it only
> supports 1280x1024 mode and color depths of only 8 and 24 bit.
>
> My old laptop has a 800x600 screen and 16 bit color depth.
> (For that matter, my newest laptop only has a 1024x768 pixel screen!)

That doesn't seem quite reasonable --- XFree86 doesn't have any
such constraints, why should its successor?  I just don't think that
the Project would have switched to X.Org if it wasn't up to snuff.
What is the URI of the page to which you refer?

The first thought that popped into my head upon reading your
first post is that you weren't "root" at the time you tried the command ....

Kevin Kinsey
DaleCo, S.P.