dummynet

TM4525 at aol.com TM4525 at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 09:41:22 PDT 2004

> > The problem with dummynet is that once you do all the work and figure
> > it all
> > out,
> > its still only marginally functional compared to something relatively
> > inexpensive.
> > So instead of buying the $3500 box that is everything you need, you've
> > spend
> > $800
> > on hardware, $2000 worth of time, and you still have something not
> > nearly as
> > good.
>
> One question, have you ever used dummynet? If so, I'm curious as to why
> you find it only marginal. Not to be rude, but if you've not used it,
> please stop trolling.
>
> --
>
> Micheal Patterson
> TSG Network Administration
> 405-917-0600

One can tell by looking at the code that it won't scale. And I know more
than 20 people who've been bitten on the butt by trying to
use it, and then buying something when they hit the wall with it, or
finding out it can't do what they need.

The question is, have YOU used anything else? Or are you like the old
woman who still washes her clothes in the river because "those darned
mechanical things aren't worth it"?