dummynet

TM4525 at aol.com TM4525 at aol.com
Fri Oct 29 07:02:12 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/29/04 9:13:15 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
hmiller at intradyn.com writes:
>>The boss pays his sysadmin every week, no matter what.   The Boss
>>expects that the systems will runs with the least overall cost.
>>Sometimes that means buying something, sometimes that means
configuring
>>what is there.
>Unfortunately most ISPs don't know much about business, so I guess
>explaining the concept of opportunity costs to you would be a waste of

>time.

>Maybe you should look up opportunity costs, because that is the
>technical term for what I said.   Each business needs to weigh the
>opportunity costs.  For some it is better to buy, others to roll their
>own.
No, what you "say" is that there is nothing else productive that the sysAdmin
can be doing. I can't imagine thats the case for most ISPs. Plus you have the
unknown in the future when you install something loosely supported, which is
another "cost" of how much downtime you'll have, or how much tech time will
be wasted, because you didn't buy something reliable.