BIND 9 and BIND 8 Transfers?

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Fri Oct 29 03:35:16 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 29, 2004 at 10:45:51AM +0200, Enrique Ayesta Perojo wrote:
> Hello, i have recently installed a new FreeBSD 5.3 RC1 to replace our internal
> cache dns master server, so it has installed BIND 9, on another machine we
> have currently installed BIND 8. Does anybody of you know if the transfer of
> zones between the two versions are compatible?

In principle, essentially yes.  However, be aware that Bind9 is a lot
pickier than Bind8, and various things that you used to be able to get
away with now result in errors.  Keep an eye on the /var/log/messages
or /var/log/all.log files whenever you restart bind, as it tends to
write pretty explanatory error messages there.

Note that what applies to the zone files applies even more strongly to
the named.conf file.  Your best bet for getting the Bind9 named.conf
working properly is to start with the default named.conf from 5.3 and
customise that with reference to

    file:///usr/local/share/doc/bind9/arm/Bv9ARM.html

or wherever the system puts the Bind docs -- that's where the
dns/bind9 port puts them.  You may also find plenty of useful hints at
this site:

    http://www.cymru.com/Documents/secure-bind-template.html

	Cheers,

	Matthew