Resired features/wish list for FreeBSD

Patrick Dung patrick_dkt at yahoo.com.hk
Thu Oct 28 20:05:30 PDT 2004

 --- Jeremy Faulkner <gldisater at gldis.ca> wrote¡G
> On Thu, 2004-10-28 at 16:07, Patrick Dung wrote:

> > 1) OpenLDAP Integration
> > FreeBSD has OpenLDAP support in the ports, but I
> think
> > it would be great if FreeBSD support LDAP out of
> the
> > box (just like Solaris and most Linux distro)
>
> Why? It's one thing to state your opinion (which
> you've done), and
> another to support it. I don't mean to be rude, but
> it does take a bit
> more to get something moved into the base install.
> It can't just be more
> convenient to you, it has to improve the system for
> the entire user base
> of FreeBSD, or at least the majority of those users
> that express their
> opinion.

Let me explain more.
The integeration with OpenLDAP is like the integration
of OpenPAM, OpenSSH, AMD automounter and Bind (what we
have now).
We have default opie support and  kerberos support
(requries recompile FreeBSD) in OpenPAM.
So lets discuss whether people find native ldap
authentication support in OpenPAM useful or not.

I haved tried Redhat.
Their installer has support for workstation ldap logon
authentication against the ldap server, which is
handy.

> > 3) Java improvement
> > It seems that the development has been stopped
> after
> > JDK 1.3.1/1.4.2 for a long time.
>
> I don't know what you define as a long time, but jdk
> 1.5 was only
> recently released. I assume you didn't expect it to
> be ported before it
> was released.

OK, I should say:
No newer patchset has been released for a long time
for JDK 1.3.1/1.4.2.
I am not referring to JDK 1.5.

> > Java performance in FreeBSD is not very good.
>
> Prove it. I'm sure java@ would be interested in
> seeing your proof and
> even more interested in seeing patches.

I have tried this web site
http://rsb.info.nih.gov/nih-image/java/benchmarks/sieve.html
On the same machine, Linux gives me twice score over
FreeBSD.

> Hey Pat, I hope you don't mind if I call you Pat,
> this mailing list is
> questions@, do you have a question for the list?

I refer to http://docs.freebsd.org
It says:
When in doubt about what list to post a question to,
post to freebsd-questions at FreeBSD.ORG.

Patrick