shared memory

Chuck Swiger cswiger at mac.com
Thu Oct 28 09:39:42 PDT 2004

Mike Hauber wrote:
> I have acquired a mo/bo with a built-in video adapter.
> Being that I have 768 megs of ram, I _know_ I have plenty
> of memory to allot to video.  BIOS doesn't pass this on to
> FreeBSD.
[ ... ]
> I'm bringing up VESA from the kernal and it's giving it 16
> megs of ram.  Where can I read up on, or how can I increase
> this allotment?

I think you have an integrated video controller which uses main memory rather
than having it's own dedicated VRAM.  Look for an option in your BIOS config
to adjust the size of the frame buffer.

You should adjust the amount of memory reserved for video to enough to handle
whatever screen depth you want to run at, there isn't much point to allocating
any more.

--
-Chuck