How to connect iBook to my BSD network

Henry Miller hmiller at intradyn.com
Thu Oct 28 06:48:43 PDT 2004

On 10/28/2004 at 14:41 Jonathon McKitrick wrote:

>On Thu, Oct 28, 2004 at 08:15:26AM +0100, Dick Davies wrote:
>: * Jonathon McKitrick <jcm at FreeBSD-uk.eu.org> [1049 04:49]:
>: Hang on - you got a basestation? What does it plug into, the link to
>your ISP
>: or one of your ethernet ports on the server? Or does the dhcp server
>connect
>: through the basestation too?
>
>We got a base station.  It has both a modem serial jack and an
ethernet
>jack.  My network has a wireless hub (with wired jacks as well, of
course)
>connected to my desktop box.
>
>: I'm a little confused because the BS will have its own DHCP server
if I
>remember
>: right.
>
>Really?  Okay, I didn't know that.  I was looking at the preferences
page
>on
>the apple and trying to figure out how to set up TCP/IP.  I was under
the
>assumption the BS was just another hub, and I had to assign it an
address.
>Since you got me going with DHCPD, I tried that, but it didn't work.
Are
>you suggesting all I need to do is patch the BS to my hub and set the
>laptop
>to get the DHCP address itself?  If so, how do I get my desktop box to
>recognize the BS?

Most base stations have a DHCP server, but you need to turn it on.
Read the docs on the base station, then log in and see.   I set my base
station so that 192.168.1.n , where 128<n<256 is assigned by the BS,
and the rest is reserved for static IPs.   I'm guessing that this bs
has dhcp and NAT built in, because it has a modem port.  Even if it
didn't though, most of them do.

You can use FreeBSD to serve DHCP, but I don't know of any advantage to
doing that.