Dmesg output confusion/printer problems

Nathan Kinkade nkinkade at ub.edu.bz
Wed Oct 27 10:08:46 PDT 2004

On Tue, Oct 26, 2004 at 08:56:12AM -0700, MrBluez wrote:
> Sorry to be impatient but I'm really curious about this stuff.  I'm
> trying to get my printer (HP LaserJet 4L) to function in Free BSD
> 5.2.1.  I'm following the handbook's instructions verbatim because I
> can't reliably get the printer to print (even plain text).  The
> handbook isn't appears to be outdated & is unclear about how to
> troubleshoot at best.  But that's another point, :-).
>
> Per section 9.3.1.2.1 Kernel Configuration in the handbook, I ran a
> dmesg command & received the doubled response.  The command &
>
> % grep ppc2 /var/run/dmesg.boot
> ppc2 port 0x778-0x77b,0x378-0x37f irq 7 on acpi0
> ppc2: Generic chipset (NIBBLE-only) in COMPATIBLE mode
> ppbus2: <Parallel port bus> on ppc2

<snip>

> Question 1) Why am I getting a doubled response with the dmesg query &
> if it isn't normal behavior for "dmesg" to double the reply, how do I
> make it go away?
>
> Question 2) Assuming that I get question 1 resolved, how do I get on
> the right track to figure out what's up with the printing issue?  I
> don't want to install CUPS or any other spooler program until I have a
> handle on what's happening with the lpd.

Can you be more specific about what problems you are having with getting
printing to work?  The fact that your parallel port is being recognized
is important, but not as likely to have anything to do with why you
cannot print.  At what state are you getting hung up?  What specific
errors are you getting, and from which programs?  Unless you are some
sort of wizard with writing your own print filters you are going to need
some sort of application to help you manage printing, such as apsfilter,
or CUPS.

Nathan
--
PGP Public Key: pgp.mit.edu:11371/pks/lookup?op=get&search=0xD8527E49