Mozilla installation - XFree86 Makefile broken ?

Donald J. O'Neill donaldj1066 at fastmail.fm
Wed Oct 27 08:29:21 PDT 2004

On Wednesday 27 October 2004 06:45 am, Adrien REBOISSON wrote:
> Okay : to upgrade the port system, I typed :
>
> portupgrade -all
>
> (I suppose it has the same effect than using cvsup, no ?)

No, it doesn't. To upgrade the port system, you need to use cvsup.
to use cvsup, it needs to be installed. An install of cvsup can be
done in one of two (possibly more) ways:
 1) cd /usr/ports/net/cvsup
      make install
 This will install cvsup and its dependencies, according to what is
 in  your ports tree.
 2) pkg_add -r cvsup
 This downloads a pre-compiled version of cvsup and its
 dependencies, based on your operating system version.

> But, I still encounter problems with XFree86 (it's the first
> package which
>
> is downloaded) :
> >> XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz doesn't seem to exist in
> >> /usr/ports/distfiles/xc. Attempting to fetch from
> >> http://www.gtlib.cc.gatech.edu/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/source/.
>
> fetch: XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz: local modification time does not
> match remote
>
> >> Attempting to fetch from
> >> ftp://ftp.xfree86.org/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/source/.
>
> ^[[A
> fetch: XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz: local modification time does not
> match remote
>
> >> Attempting to fetch from
> >> ftp://ftp.rge.com/pub/X/XFree86/4.4.0/source/.
>
> fetch: XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz: local modification time does not
> match remote
>
> >> Attempting to fetch from
> >> ftp://archive.progeny.com/XFree86/4.4.0/source/.
>
> fetch: XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz: local modification time does not
> match remote
>
> >> Attempting to fetch from
> >> ftp://ftp.mirrorcentral.com/pub/XFree86/4.4.0/source/.
>
> [.....cut....]
>
> >> Attempting to fetch from
> >> ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/ports/distfiles/xc/.
>
> fetch: XFree86-4.4.0-src-1.tgz: local modification time does not
> match remote
>
> >> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
> >> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/xc and try again.
>
> *** Error code 1
>
> Well, okay :
>
> cd /usr/ports/distfiles/xc
> tar -xvzf XFree86-4.4.0-src-5.tgz
> [...]
> cd xc/fonts/scaled
>
> There is no makefile, just a file named "IMakefile" (why ?)
>
> mv IMakefile Makefile
> make

Don't do that. That IMakefile is required to be named IMakfile. Is
imake installed on your system?
 pkg_info |grep imake

Also, do you have gmake installed?

> "Makefile", line 33: Missing dependency operator
> "Makefile", line 34: Missing dependency operator
> make: fatal errors encountered -- cannot continue
>
> What should I do ? I'm a bit lost :)

Go to the FreeBSD website and look at the handbook, also look at the
FAQ, and the For Newbies section. On your computer,
read /usr/src/UPDATING, /usr/ports/UPDATING,
Go to http://www.lemis.com/questions.html  and read there.
Go to http://www.freebsddiary.org/  and read there.

> Thank you !
>
> A.R.

Hello A.R.

I think I've given you some place to at least get a handle on
things. Perhaps you're trying to go to far, too fast, without going
through the learning curve. What version of FreeBSD do you have
installed?

Don

--
Donald J. O'Neill