Sorry

Erik Norgaard norgaard at locolomo.org
Wed Oct 27 06:39:14 PDT 2004

Jaime Moss wrote:

> What is the differnce between FreeBSD and Linux?

The differences really only matters if you are using one system and want
to change, they are mostly neuances in everyday use.

You can run all the mentioned mailservers equally well on both FreeBSD
and Linux, same configuration files. Migrating from Linux to FreeBSD I
only had to reformat the password file as Linux' shadow-file is slightly
different format from FreeBSD master.passwd.

I think the most clear difference, which will be important to you is the
way you _maintain_ the systems:

On Linux the normal administrator will often be installing binary
packages using rpm - Gentoo and Debian have other ways to handle this.
On *BSD the usual way is to use the ports tree and compile from source.

Mostly it is a matter of personal taste, which system is for you, how
you like to do things and how you work. I came from RedHat linux and
have found I spend less time maintaining my systems with FreeBSD - but
this just my subjective feeling.

Cheers, Erik
--
Ph: +34.666334818                                  web: www.locolomo.org