Diagnosing program crashes.

Ben Washington-Yule benwy_01 at yahoo.com.au
Wed Oct 27 03:20:42 PDT 2004

I have just destroyed a keyboard over this utterly frustrating problem;
Evolution, (usr/ports/mail/evolution) crashes only about 1-2 minutes of
use and by crash I mean that it crashes the entire system; screen
freezes, keyboard locks up, have to flick switch off at back of
computer. These crashes are not occasional; they happen after Evolution
has been open for 1-2 minutes without fail. I have had this same problem
with opera and linux-opera before but I pretended it just "didn't
happen" and quickly deinstalled the ports (I was convinced it was
impossible to crash FreeBSD - now I relise FreeBSD wasn't at fault - it
was the programs in question).

I need to know where to start looking to diagnose this problem; I don't
expect anyone will be able to say exactly what is causing the problem as
it could be anything I suppose but I would like some pointers on what to
do to try and solve the problem myself. There are no *.core files or any
sign that the app has crashed after a reboot and thus I am completely
clueless as to where to start looking for signs thereof.

Many thanks for any help or pointers in general,
- Ben