Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows

terry tyson beebum at gmail.com
Tue Oct 26 06:11:56 PDT 2004

On Mon, 25 Oct 2004 23:20:08 -0700, Ted Mittelstaedt
<tedm at toybox.placo.com> wrote:
<snip>

PMFJI, (especially since I'm a newbie) but I think I understand at
least some of what Ted is saying here. I set up a home firewall and
later had a hardware failure. I replaced the box and decided to use
Mandrake Linux for the firewall because I thought it would be easier
to set up. It was easier to set up initially with all the pointy
clicky stuff. Then a friend (who knows much more than I do) sniffed
the box and warned me that I had holes galore. As I tried to fix the
problem it became more difficult than when I was using BSD. I finally
installed OpenBSD for the firewall (still use FreeBSD for everything
else) and even tho there is a lot to learn I can make it do what I
want. I have learned that just because something looks good on the
surface, that doesn't mean that it's better.
--
Terry