pppoa problem

Eihab E. Ibrahim eihab at qatar.net.qa
Mon Oct 25 11:34:14 PDT 2004

From: "Long Story" <dead_line at hotmail.com>
To: <Thomas.Sparrevohn at btinternet.com>; <eihab at qatar.net.qa>
Sent: Monday, October 25, 2004 7:00 PM
Subject: Re: pppoa problem

> Hello Eihab, Hello Thomas,

Hello Marwan :)

>  I found a Zip file called, SpeedTouch330_firmware_3012.Zip
>  When I did unzipped this file I found two unknown extention files which is
> zzzl_3.012
>  and kqd6_3.012 and it came to my knowledge from somesite that the file
> zzzl_3.012
>  is for 330 usb speedtouch and that i have to place it in
> /usr/local/libdata/ to be in the same
> directory with mgmt.o, so I did so, and i did a manual modem run
> modem_run -v 1 -m -d /dev/ugen0 -f /usr/local/libdata/mgmt.o
>
> But still complaining from no firmware found in /usr/local/libdata/mgmt.o
>
> Would you please correct my informations please? what additional packages
> files i should install?

The two files zzzl_3.012 and kqd6_3.012 are different versions of the
firmware for different modem revisions.

try: "dmesg -a |grep ALCATEL" to see your modem revision.
mine says: ugen0: ALCATEL Speed Touch 330, rev 1.10/2.00, addr 2

 kqd6_3.012 is for revision 0 and 2, zzzl_3.012 is for revision 4.

You need to "Replace" mgmt.o with either one of these files, e.g. do a:
# mv kqd6_3.012 /usr/local/libdata/mgmt.o
this will over write the old mgmt.o file with this new one.
I didn't have much luck with it though, the connection was shaky.

> I downloaded a fresh copy of the file speedmgmt.tar.gz as Eihab said but it
> ask for
> hotplug-2001_01_16.tar.gz  I also downloaded that hotplugin and I did
> install it,
> but still the make make install for speedmgmt doesnot work and says operator
> missing..

The file speedmgmt.tar.gz contains a few files, you should just copy mgmt.o
from it to your /usr/local/libdata/.

A list of commands for that would be:
# tar -xzvf speedmgmt.tar.gz
[extracting files]