Serious investigations into UNIX and Windows

TM4525 at aol.com TM4525 at aol.com
Mon Oct 25 08:15:13 PDT 2004

In a message dated 10/24/04 5:54:56 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
tedm at toybox.placo.com writes:
> I know more than a
> few people,
> small businessmen mostly, who have been completely screwed because their
> almost
> totally incompetent unix tech guy left the company.

Ted wrote...

>For every small businessman screwed over this way there are ten times
>the number who have been screwed over by incompetent Windows tech
guys.
The point, Ted,  is that you can easily find another "incompetent" windows
tech, or even a good one to bail you out. With unix you're just screwed.

>Windows today is just as complex as any UNIX system.  Sure, maybe
>a decade ago a peer-to-peer network of Windows systems your
>statement might have been true, but not today.

You're also missing my point on this.  You don't have to get into the guts
of windows to make it work. You dont have to be a programmer to tweak
all of the applications, in fact I know more than one "windows tech" who knows
how to set things up but really has no idea what the settings mean.  Yes you
 have to understand the applications to some degree. But to me, its a
different
level of skill to install and maintain applications in a unix-like
environment.

There's also less documentation, fewer resources, etc. So its more difficult
to be proficient in unix than in windows.

Ask a unix tech to install a windows application, or ask a windows tech to
install
a unix application. Which do you think has a better chance of success?