pf and RELEASE

Aaron M. illwrk4u at hotmail.com
Sun Oct 24 11:40:02 PDT 2004

I saw a while back that the majority of people feel that for rock solid
stability and production environments, the way to go is with 4.10-Release
(I'm still not sure if stable is considered production quality as most
things i find say it is still a WIP)

I really am interested in the PF port that came over from openbsd.  I think
this piece of software really offeres a great set of tools especially Carp
and pfsync.   I notice (at least this is how it appears to me) that it isn't
available for the 4.X versions of FreeBSD.

My question is this, if i want to use PF in a production environment, should
i go with the upcoming (tomorrow?) release of FreeBSD 5.3 or just use
OpenBSD, either 3.5 or 3.6 for the firewall?  I know this is one of those
theoretical/holy war "what's your favorite" type questions, but not
intending it to be and hoping the answers aren't geared as such.   i just
like pf...and also FBSD, with this in mind..i want a machine that is secure
and stable as can be, it is after all the access to the internet as well as
the defender of all that is good for the company.

Thanks in advance,

Aaron