Arla

Greg 'groggy' Lehey grog at FreeBSD.org
Sun Oct 24 08:10:05 PDT 2004

On Thursday, 14 October 2004 at 13:05:57 -0700, Damian Sobieralski wrote:

>  I hope this is the correct place to post this.  I'm a recent convert
> to FreeBSD (about 2 years ago). I'll spare the details (potential flame
> bait). I'll just say it is so nice to have ONE distribution of my O/S
> and leave the inferences to what I was using before as an exercise to
> the reader :)  Anyways, using the very well maintained ports I have
> never had any troubles.  However, I am on a fact finding mission.
>
>   I have been digging around the 'Net looking for AFS client
> information for FreeBSD.  It appears OpenAFS does not run on FreeBSD
> and many point to Arla.  I visited the project's homepage and I noticed
> that it stated that FreeBSD 5.2.1 is a specifically supported (my
> version) system.  I tried to make the port and noticed it was listed as
> "broken" (as well as several errors after I type "make" in
> /usr/ports/net/arla).  So without wasting any more time on the mailing
> list then need be- what is the status of Arla on FreeBSD?  Is there a
> working port for 5.2.1? Or a more general question- if one has a 5.2.1
> machine (i386) and wants AFS client connectivity- what options are
> available to him (if any)?

First, sorry if this arrives after other more useful messages.  I'm
travelling in Europe, and it could be up to a week before I can send
this message.

I've been looking at ARLA, and it seems that it's broken as a result
of some changes in the bio layer of FreeBSD 5 and 6.  The breakage is
minor, but to fix and test it I need to do a certain amount of work,
and that won't happen until mid-November at the earliest (I won't be
home until 7 November).  You might like to contact me (privately)
round then for an updated status.

Greg