Getting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to work

Giorgos Keramidas keramida at ceid.upatras.gr
Sun Oct 24 07:07:34 PDT 2004

On 2004-10-24 16:56, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On 2004-10-23 23:45, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > Meanwhile, back in the real world, we like to be able to help our
> > users by letting them easily post questions.
>
> And nothing's stopping them from doing so.  In which real world are you?

By trimming everything away and replying to just one sentence of the reply
Kris gave, there simply isn't enough context to see what his post was about.
Please keep as much of the original post as necessary when replying :-)

Here's a view of the surrounding context of these replies, that might
help anyone who reads this reply to understand what I write below:

On 2004-10-24 16:56, Dave Horsfall <dave at horsfall.org> wrote:
> On 2004-10-23 23:45, Kris Kennaway <kris at obsecurity.org> wrote:
> > On Sun, Oct 24, 2004 at 12:46:05PM +1000, Dave Horsfall wrote:
> > > So, is this list a spam-magnet i.e any spammer can post to it without
> > > fear?  If so, not only have you just lost me as a potential contributor,
> > > but it's going to get listed as such.  There is *no* excuse for running an
> > > open mailing list any more.
> >
> > Meanwhile, back in the real world, we like to be able to help our
> > users by letting them easily post questions.
>
> And nothing's stopping them from doing so.  In which real world are you?

What Kris was replying to was the last sentence of your original post on Oct
24, 2004 at 12:46:

	``There is *no* excuse for running an open mailing list any more.''

You are right.  There is no excuse.  There is a very good and important
*reason* though, that you might have missed in Kris' reply:

	``This mailing list is listed in the web site of FreeBSD as the
	one, central place where users can post for help.  Many of the
	people who are newcomers to FreeBSD (and Unix in general) might
	not be comfortable with mailing list servers, subscription to
	lists, or other complicated[1] things.''

The list is open, so that new FreeBSD users[2] can follow the directions to
post to this list as easily as possible:

	``Post your question to <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>''

That's it.  That's all there is to it.  There isn't much that can be done to
simplify this even further.

This is the most important _reason_ why the list is open.  Making it as easy
as possible for the new FreeBSD users to post, they will have no problem
asking questions, receiving replies and making the best out of their
FreeBSD systems.

- Giorgos

[1] They might not be complicated for you or me, but this doesn't mean
a lot. The fact that some people find it hard to understand the concept
of a ``mailing list'' does not change because you and I understand how
these things work.

[2] It's exactly this sort of users that will need the most out of a general
questions list.  Experienced users will often know where to find the
information they need without posting to a list.