[OT] Sapir-Whorfian Advertising Clause (was Advertising clause in license)

Danny MacMillan flowers at users.sourceforge.net
Sat Oct 23 00:45:20 PDT 2004

On Fri, Oct 22, 2004 at 08:50:13PM -0600, Ted Mittelstaedt wrote:

> Nell,
>
>   Just a request, please do not use the term "advertising clause"
>
> This is a term that was created by the Linux bigots, specifically
> people like RMS who is so bigoted he can't see beyond the tip
> of his nose.  It has never been "advertising" before to give
> credit to the authors of a software package until the pro-GPL-anti-BSD
> crowd came along.  It has also never been a burden of any kind
> to include credit to UCB until people started to think it was
> because the GPL crowd told them.  And many companies used BSD
> code without giving credit, and nobody cared.  (for example,
> Microsoft who used plenty of BSD code including BSD header files
> that still had the BSD copyrights in them)

Be that as it may, the term "advertising clause" seems strictly
definitive, as it pertains to a clause that refers to advertising.
That much at least seems obvious from what Nell fgrep'd for.  I
don't disagree with the substance of your point, but it is counter-
productive to redefine language to suit one's political agenda.

>   I think it is either extremely mean-spirited to make a big
> deal over this or it is a subtle BSD-bash to do so.  Nobody in
> the BSD community ever coined the term "advertising-clause" this
> was forced on us from without, and there is no reason to use
> it.
>
> Ted Mittelstaedt

Danny