ifconfig on 4.10

Daniel Bye freebsd at slightlystrange.org
Fri Oct 22 11:08:47 PDT 2004

On Fri, 22 October, 2004 6:55 pm, Scott Rothgaber said:
> I'm moving our mail server from 4.4 to 4.10. When I try to add addresses
> to the NIC, ifconfig doesn't seem to want to cooperate...
>
> s2<ROOT>[/var/CommuniGate]
>  > ifconfig fxp0 add 63.82.200.42/24
> ifconfig: ioctl (SIOCAIFADDR): File exists
>
> This is the same command that I used on the 4.4 machine. Has something
> changed? If this is a security thing, can it be disabled via sysctl?

Is the new address in the same network range as the original, primary
address on the interface?  If so, the netmask should be /32 or
255.255.255.255.

HTH

Dan

--
Daniel Bye

PGP Key fingerprint: 3B9D 8BBB EB03 BA83 5DB4 3B88 86FC F03A 90A1 BE8F
                                                                     _
                                              ASCII ribbon campaign ( )
                                         - against HTML, vCards and  X
                                - proprietary attachments in e-mail / \