(g_)vinum]

Paul Mather paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu
Fri Oct 22 09:30:10 PDT 2004

On Fri, 22 Oct 2004 10:55:37 +0200, Mark Frasa <bsd at frasa.net> wrote:

> On 2004.10.22 10:26:25 +0000, Mark Frasa wrote:

> > > On Thursday 21 October 2004 12:21, Mark Frasa wrote:

> > can you or anyone tell me how to make gvinum load automatically?
> >
> > In /boot/loader.conf I set:
> >
> > vinum_load="YES"
> > vinum.autostart="YES"
> >
> > This doest not work, even:
> >
> > gvinum_load="YES"
> > gvinum.autostart="YES"
> >
> > When i boot in single user mode and i mount the gvinum volumes,
> everything is OK!
> > Thus it really is the problem of the autoload and start of vinum.
> >
> > Mark.
>
> AH, i found the error:
>
> the configfile was named gvinum.conf
>
> Thus vinum _did_ load but could nog find any disks.
>
> Now i renamed it to /etc/vinum.conf it starts up, reconizes all the
> plexes and disks and tells every part is up.
>
> The error is see is:
>
> Mounting root from ufs:/dev/gvinum/root
> set root by name failed
> ffs_mountroot: can't find rootvp
> Root mount failed: 6
>
> Then it goes to manual root filesystem specification.
>
> Any ID?

It looks from the above that you are loading the vinum kernel module,
not the geom_vinum kernel module.  To load the correct one, add the
following to your /boot/loader.conf file:

     geom_vinum_load="YES"

That's all you need.  You should remove any extraneous cruft from
/etc/rc.conf that might cause the vinum kernel module to be loaded,
e.g., remove "start_vinum" if it's there.  Also remove any
non-geom_vinum Vinum entries from /boot/loader.conf.  E.g., remove
"vinum_load" and "vinum.autostart" if still present.

Note that the Vinum configuration resides on the drives, so you
shouldn't need an "/etc/vinum.conf" or similar to configure your Vinum
volumes on subsequent reboots.  You only need it initially to create the
Vinum configuration.

Geom_vinum will scan the drives during boot and activate any Vinum
configuration it discovers.

Cheers,

Paul.
e-mail: paul at gromit.dlib.vt.edu