Aterm cut-and-paste was Re: Rid of those Windows Desktops!

Josh Hansen lists at josh.aros.net
Thu Oct 21 07:40:01 PDT 2004

Pratt, Benjamin E. wrote:

>I was searching for a way to cut-and-paste but couldn't find any
>documentation on how to do it with Aterm. I think I got frustrated and
>just started clicking and when I hit the scroll button it worked!! The
>only changes I've made are /etc/X11/xorg.conf changes to get my Z-axis
>button working:
>
>Section "InputDevice"
>        Identifier  "Mouse0"
>        Driver      "mouse"
>        Option      "Protocol" "auto"
>        Option      "Device" "/dev/sysmouse"
>        Option      "ZAxisMapping" "4 5"
>EndSection
>
>I can't tell you if it's only a 5.3 or an Xorg thing or something else
>but I have used it on two different machines running 5.3-BETA6 or newer.
>I don't have an older version of FreeBSD running so I can't try it
>anywhere else, I would be interested to know though.
>
>Ben

You can copy and paste from any terminal or other application in X by
highlighting text with the mouse, and then clicking with the wheel to
paste.

You can also copy and paste the Microsoft way, with Control-C/Control-V.

One thing to keep in mind is that anything that you actually copy by
Edit -> copy, Control-C, right click -> copy, etc will overwrite
anything you simply highlight.  It's like having two separate
clipboards.  One from actually copying, one from highlighting.