Two faced FreeBSD - or is that two headed?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Wed Oct 20 11:29:50 PDT 2004

Hey everyone.

I'm considering an addition to the desktop.  Namely a second monitor to
set up a two faced system.  Maybe it's really a two headed system?

Either way, it was real easy to talk the boss (read wife) into it.  I
just mentioned that I was considering one of two things:  A new laptop
or a second monitor to set up this.  Her first question was what will
they cost?  You can guess the rest.

Now, my current card supports both standard video and DVI outputs, so
I'm wondering if this is as simple as making the screen resolution twice
as wide, or if I really have to get a second card.

Something tells me it's not that simple.

I've heard xinerama mentioned a few times in contexts that suggest it
might be related to this task, but I'm not able to find anymore detail
on it.  X.org directed me to the sourceforge site, but all I can gather
from that is that it is in the Desktop Environment category.  There are
no docs; there is no summary that tells what it does (it could be a
screensaver for all I can tell from that).

Searching the archives for "dual monitor" came up empty.

I have to assume I am missing the majick phrase to get all the real info
on this subject.

So, my questions:
Is anyone out there doing this with FreeBSD?
Where the heck is the FM?

BTW, the system in question is running xorg with FVWM 2.4.18 (from the
ports), and will ultimately be running RELENG_5_3.

TIA
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

O'Brian's Law:
  Everything is always done for the wrong reasons.