Host name question

Bill Schmitt bilsch at schmittnet.com
Wed Oct 20 08:29:43 PDT 2004

   Well, every other computer on the network is listed as an "attached
   device" except the FBSD box. And, when I've booted Knoppix in the
   past, it showed up, too.

   Also, when I start Apache (2.0) I receive a message "Could not
   determine the server's fully qualified domain name, using 127.0.0.1
   for ServerName.
   Ruben de Groot wrote:

On Wed, Oct 20, 2004 at 07:09:49AM -0400, Bill Schmitt (SW) typed:

I know I've seen the answer to this question somewhere here, but I can't
seem to find it. I'm running FBSD 4.9 on a machine which is connected to
a router (Netgear) that provides DHCP services. The FBSD box gets the IP
correctly (assigned based on the MAC address), but the router never sees
it by name. I have the name of the machine in the hosts file and
rc.conf, but the router never gets the name back. Can anyone help?

What makes you think the router *should* get the name back?