configuring sendmail for relaying mail form data

John DeStefano john.destefano at gmail.com
Wed Oct 20 06:45:32 PDT 2004

On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 20:23:54 -0400, Gerry Freymann <lists at interpool.ca> wrote:
> >I'm trying to use a PHP form mail script
> >(http://www.leveltendesign.com/L10Apps/Fm/) to process data submitted
> >by a Web mail form.
> >The mail queue is holding these messages with the fillowing error:
> >Deferred: 450 <www@<host>.<domain>.com>: Sender address rejected:
> >Domain not found
>
> It looks to me like you haven't fully configured the form mail script,
> or, have configured it wrong, or are using the wrong syntax in your form.
>
> It shouldn't be trying to send messages out as <www@<host>.<domain>.com>
>
> I would think you should be seeing a valid email address in their.
>
> Maybe that will point you in the right direction.

LOL... sorry: I replaced the actual host and domain with placeholders
in my post. ;)

The actual mailq entries look more like this (sorry for the bad wrap):

-----Q-ID----- --Size-- -----Q-Time----- ------------Sender/Recipient-----------
i9JN4oUN030313      173 Tue Oct 19 19:04 <www at zurg.thedestefanos.com>
                 (Deferred: 450 <www at zurg.thedestefanos.com>: Sender address r)
                                         <jody at thechocolateshack.com>

And a sample error from an mqueue entry:

MDeferred: 450 <www at zurg.thedestefanos.com>: Sender address rejected:
Domain not found

"zurg" is the host name of the FBSD server, which hosts my apache2 Web server.
"thedestefanos.com" is the local domain (but a FQDN).

I'm pretty sure it's not the way I've configured the script, because I
only replaced the necessary variables, and the messages are making it
to the mail server queue (but not any further).

However, other mail (such as my daily reports) is getting sent through
without a hitch.

If you wouldn't mind having a look, the form is here:
http://www.thechocolateshack.com/contact.html

The script is here:
http://www.thechocolateshack.com/cgi/L10FmX.php

I can also supply the files as text if needed.

Thanks,
~John