FreeBSD and GCC

Jorn Argelo jorn at wcborstel.nl
Wed Oct 20 01:21:12 PDT 2004

On Wed, 20 Oct 2004 09:01:07 +0100, Walker, Michael wrote
> Hi All,
>
> I'm not to familiar with what goes on behind the scenes during the FreeBSD
> install process. So please forgive me if this is a dumb question.
> Is there any way to install FreeBSD without gcc and later build from
> the ports tree, to enable me to keep upto date with the gcc project
releases.

> Like I said, I don't know if this is possible, but any replies are
> gratefully accepted.
>
> Mick Walker
> NAAFI Finance International

As far as I know, FreeBSD maintains their own version of GCC. They patch it
theirselves while making sure it maintains its compatibility with the ports-
tree.

And no, you can't install FreeBSD without a compiler (correct me if I'm wrong)
. It's just part of the OS. That is why you're way better off with the
versions that come with original installation then one from the GCC project
page. Your question could easily apply to Linux though, but FreeBSD is not
like that.

Cheers,

Jorn.