Connecting to serial port using HyperTerminal

Rob spamrefuse at yahoo.com
Tue Oct 19 22:23:50 PDT 2004

Robert Fitzpatrick wrote:
>>>ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   vt100   on secure
>>>
>>>I found an existing line for ttyd0 set for dailup and off, I replaced
>>>it
>>>with the one you suggested. Now, the ttyd0 shows up in the processes
>>>running, but still no luck connecting. I have things set to 9600 baud
>>>with
>>>8|None|1|Hardware and VT100 emulation. But no response.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Robert
>>
>>Maybe something trivial, but are you sure you're using a null modem
>>cable?  this is necessary...
>

> Yeah, the cable works connecting to a Linux box I have...

Is the serial port enabled (BIOS & kernel)?
Do you get positive output when you do
   $ cat /var/run/dmesg.boot | grep "sio[[:digit:]]"
f.ex:
  sio0 at port 0x3f8-0x3ff irq 4 flags 0x10 on isa0
  sio0: type 16550A
  sio1 at port 0x2f8-0x2ff irq 3 on isa0
  sio1: type 16550A

In /etc/ttys
   ttyd0 "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   dialup  off secure
means first serial port; cable is connected to that port?

Rob.