Upgrading a 5.1-RELEASE-p10 system...

Glenn Sieb ges+lists at wingfoot.org
Tue Oct 19 13:33:26 PDT 2004

I'd like to update a server from 5.1-RELEASE-p10 to 5.3-STABLE...

What I'm wondering is: Are there any caveats to this upgrade?

One of my compadres asked me:

> How stable is stable?
>
> Isn't this the release where they change some value from an int16 to
> an int32 and upgrading needs to be done with extra caution?  (i.e.
> actually go to single user mode even though everyone ignores that
> step).  Or was that something else?
>
> Otherwise, I'm all for it.

So I just wanted to be sure, so I can plan accordingly...

Thanks in advance!
Best,
Glenn

           ~Benjamin Franklin, Historical Review of Pennsylvania, 1759