how to reinstall a port after a "make install clean"?

Louis LeBlanc FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
Tue Oct 19 09:20:43 PDT 2004

On 10/19/04 08:04 AM, Andy Firman sat at the `puter and typed:
> On Tue, Oct 19, 2004 at 10:44:59AM -0500, terry tyson wrote:
> > On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 06:25:39 -0800, Andy Firman <andy at firman.us> wrote:
> > >
> > > I need to rebuild the exim-mysql port with ldap lookups
> > > and am having trouble since I did a make install clean.
> > snip
> >
> > I don't know if this will solve your specific problem but doing a
> > "make deinstall" has cleared up some issues for me when trying to
> > reinstall.
>
> Thanks but...when I first installed exim-mysql I did "make install clean".
> Per the handbook....quote:
> "The make deinstall and make reinstall sequence does not work once
> you have run make clean. If you want to deinstall a
> port after cleaning, use pkg_delete(1)"
>
> So I used pkg_delete.  Now I can't build exim-mysql with other options.
>
> Again this is my command I run in /usr/ports/mail/exim-mysql, after I do the pkg_delete.
>
> # make -DWITH_OPENLDAP=yes -DWITH_OPENSSL_BASE -DWITH_LDAP_LIB_TYPE=OPENLDAP22 \
> -DWITH_LOOKUP_LDAP=yes install clean
>
> Running exim -bV give me this:
> Lookups: lsearch wildlsearch nwildlsearch iplsearch cdb dbm dbmnz dnsdb dsearch mysql nis nis0 passwd
> and I also get errors in the log file when Exim tries an ldap lookup.
>
> It is not building Exim with those options.....Am I missing a step?
>
> After pkg_delete, do I need to do some other sort of cleaning?

I usually use portupgrade to install newer versions of the ports, but on
the rare occasion that doesn't work, I always use the following from the
port directory:

make && make deinstall reinstall clean

Even when the port has been cleaned from the previous build, which is
always the case (disk space can get pretty scarce if you keep all those
ports built), this almost always works for me.  On the very rare
occasion that it doesn't, I at least get some kind of useful error
message.

HTH
Lou
Louis LeBlanc               FreeBSD at keyslapper.org
http://www.keyslapper.org                     Ô¿Ô¬

QOTD:
  My mother was the travel agent for guilt trips.