Status of high-speed usb drivers

Bruce M Simpson bms at spc.org
Tue Oct 19 08:45:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 09:43:13AM -0500, Davon Shire wrote:
>  That said, I'd very much like to know where on the horizon do USB 2.0
> highspeed drivers sit? I've seen that current is now into 6.0 but from what
> I've read USB functionality is not even on the agenda.

Short answer: It doesn't work [right now].

Long answer: I don't see this getting fixed overnight, given the
complexity of the USB drivers, and it's beyond my ken, so unless
someone is willing to step up and fix it, it will lag.

I have a USB2 drive enclosure. I have tried both an ATAPI CDRW drive and
a recent Seagate drive in it. Under ehci, lots of failures, and indeed
the occasional panic. Under uhci, it's rock solid, but slow and restricted
to USB1.1 speeds.

Workaround: The only way to disable ehci is to neither compile it nor load
it into the kernel right now (for 4.x, 5.x and CURRENT).

Regards,
BMS