Private (only) DNS server setup?

Seth Henry jshamlet at hotmail.com
Tue Oct 19 07:35:05 PDT 2004

Guys,
I am trying to decrease the amount of traffic going through my cable modem.
Presently, I have a FreeBSD 4.10 system acting as a gateway router. It runs
ipf/ipnat for filtering, and acts as a dhcp server to the internal network.
I also run ntpd, and have pointed all of my internal machines to the router
for time services.

I plan to add a caching web proxy, and a private DNS server - which is where
my question comes in.

I want to run a private DNS server which is visible internally only. Comcast
doesn't like servers, so I don't want to broadcast any DNS information
upstream. (this would also be kind of dumb, as the entries would point to
non-routable addresses)

I also want to create a private, internal zone so that I can stop passing
hosts files around. (i.e. 192.168.1.1 -> internal_host1, etc) IOW - I would
like internal machines to point to my DNS server for internal & external
addresses. If the DNS server (on the router) can't find the address in its
local cache, I would like the router to retrieve the record, and pass it
along to the internal machine. In the end, I want to block all DNS traffic
from the internal network from leaving the network - internal machines
should only request DNS info from the router.

I am already running dhcpd - so i plan to simply point all of the machines
to my DNS server. If all goes  well, new machines should be "network ready"
right after the install.

I have seen a large number of HOWTO's on the web, but all seem to assume
that you want to propogate internal DNS info back upstream.

Can anyone refer me to an appropriate README, HOWTO?

Thanks,
Seth Henry