5.3-STABLE ????

Lucas Holt luke at foolishgames.com
Tue Oct 19 07:32:39 PDT 2004

On Oct 18, 2004, at 10:18 PM, Vonleigh Simmons wrote:

> 	Sorry to hijack the thread. My box is running 5.2, and I'd like to
> upgrade it to 5.2.1. Problem is that the server is in a colo so I only
> have SSH access to it; because of this I can't drop into single user
> mode.
>
> 	So far I grabbed the stable sup file, changed it to RELENG_5_2. After
> that I ran
> # make -j4 buildworld
> # make -j4 buildkernel
>
> 	But I'm not sure how to continue since I don't have single user mode.
> Anyone have any pointers, as the handbook doesn't say what to do in
> this case.
>
> Vonleigh Simmons
> <http://illusionart.com/>

I do this all the time.  The real problem is that you can't always pull
it off during major changes to the code.   For example, switching from
4.x to 5.x or more recently 5.1 to 5.2.x.  Every machine I upgraded
with 5.1 screwed up and i had to manually copy some files in single
user from the /usr/obj to their locations in order to get the
installworld to finish.  Sometimes you can get around this by doing an
installkernel installworld all at once and then rebooting but of course
you can't back out of the upgrade.  (its risky cause you could have a
userland that does not match your old kernel if the new one doesn't
boot)

I suspect 5.2.1 Px to 5.3 should be smooth though.  I've already
upgraded my desktop to the betas and am seriously considering upgrading
my mail server to RC1.

FoolishGames.com  (Jewel Fan Site)
JustJournal.com (Free blogging)