Good newsreaders for FreeBSD?

R. W. list-freebsd-2004 at morbius.sent.com
Tue Oct 19 06:24:55 PDT 2004

On Tuesday 19 October 2004 08:59, Joshua Tinnin wrote:
> On Monday 18 October 2004 11:10 pm, Christopher Nehren
>

> > Hmph. Just a few days ago I was thinking about how Pan deserves a
> > 1.0 version number because of its full feature set, stability, and
> > so forth. It's never crashed here, and I've been using it since
> > before 5.0 existed.
>
> Really? What version of FreeBSD are you using, and what's your window
> manager/desktop?

I also find it stable. I'm using KDE 3.3 on 5.2.1.

One thing that can cause problems is having too many cached message
bodies; I find that it can become less stable above ~3Gig. There *may*
also be problem with large groups. I once had a group surge to 180,000
articles and pan crashed several times on it, before I deleted the
headers and repulled the most recent 30,000. That might have been a
one-off problem with corruption though.