PCM not appearing in /dev ?

Brian Bobowski bbobowski at cogeco.ca
Mon Oct 18 21:23:12 PDT 2004

On Monday 18 October 2004 20:17, Jeremy Faulkner wrote:
> /dev/dspXX are what will appear in /dev, not pcm

Fair enough. And the sound does appear to be working. My question really comes
down to, where does pcm0 disappear to? I'm just expecting the system log
messages to reflect the actual devices being attached/detached, so it's kind
of confusing, is all.

> Trust /dev/sndstat, it knows best.

And it shows /dev/pcm0, adding to the confusion.

To reiterate, the install is presently working; but I'm curious as to what's
going on. That disparity(pcm0 in the messages and /dev/sndstat, dsp
elsewhere) is what made it take me a little to realise that the sound system
was actually set up and running.

-BB