OT: Upgrade feasibility, to AMD64/5.x.x or to stay i386/4.9 on AMD64 hardware?

Eirik Øverby ltning at anduin.net
Mon Oct 18 13:08:30 PDT 2004

Hoi there,

I don't see any problems, except ..... <browse down>

On 18. Oct 2004, at 21:19, Communications Machine wrote:

> Hey all, looking to upgrade a server used in a small business here,
> looking
> for opinions and advice about migrating to an AMD64 system, vs. using
> i386
> box, also if it would not be just as feasible to use i386 distribution
> on
> AMD64 hardware simply for the speed?
>
> Here's what we've got now, and have been running for a few years
> without
> fail; just things getting a little slow to keep-up with things now:
>
> AMD K62 - 300mhz CPU
> 768 Megs RAM
> 60GB ATA-133 and 80GB ATA-133 Drive attached to Promise TX2 Controller
> (no
> raid)
>
> System serves as:
>     - mailserver (sendmail/pop3/spamd/mimedefang with custom filters)
>     - webserver ('standard' apache serving mostly static pages)
>     - application server (apache/mod_perl mostly, lot of custom apps)
>     - squid proxy server/gateway using authentication and custom
> logging
>     - samba server for workgroup, not primary fileserver but used
> quite a
> bit
>     - MySQL server *** several databases nearing couple hundred megs
> worth
> of data, queries starting to take longer than ever before...
>     - FTP server, (combined with http/upload virtually hosted site),
> operates as place for customers/vendors to drop/receive data - used
> quite
> frequently, but for mostly sub 1gb files
>     - many custom apps, mostly written in PERL, which process data via
> cronjobs, etc.
>

> Here's what we're proposing for the new hardware:
>
> AMD Athlon64 - 3200+ (Socket 754 - I know, but it's cheap)
> MSI K8T-FSR (VIA Chipset)
> Adaptec AAC-2410SA 4-Port S-ATA RAID Controller

This one is gonna be tricky on you, I think. The driver used for most
Adaptec RAID controllers (IDE and SCSI alike) isn't currently working
on amd64 (in 64-bit mode, that is). I have repeatedly asked if anyone
will step up to the task and fix that, as I have an Adaptec
Zero-Channel RAID add-on-board for my dual opteron just collecting dust
at the moment, but the general answer is 'no time'... Too bad.
Then again, I have nothing but really REALLY bad experiences with
Adaptec IDE RAID solutions, so perhaps you should choose differently
there.. Most all the others are supported, and supported well afaik.

/Eirik