security patches

Paul Schmehl pauls at utdallas.edu
Mon Oct 18 12:01:21 PDT 2004

--On Sunday, October 17, 2004 06:12:08 PM -0700 faisal gillani
<fasi_74 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> Hello i am new to FreeBSD & must say it have been a
> ipresssive time with it
> .. FreeBSD runs my server  !!!! :)
> how can i update my OS of the security patches
> released by FreeBSD guys ?
>
> i am use to windows update & Red HAT Network ..

You need to install freebsd-update and portupgrade from the ports.
Freebsd-update is found in /usr/ports/security and portupgrade is found in
/usr/ports sysutils.  You install a port by cding to the directory and
typing "% make install clean".

You should also go to the FreeBSD website and read the Handbook (also found
in /usr/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook) section on ports so you
understand how they work.  Once you've installed freebsd-update and
portupgrade, read both man pages so you understand how they work.

Paul Schmehl (pauls at utdallas.edu)
Adjunct Information Security Officer
The University of Texas at Dallas
AVIEN Founding Member