Status of high-speed usb drivers

Mark Rowlands mark.rowlands at mypost.se
Mon Oct 18 11:28:29 PDT 2004

Shire
>>> Sent: Monday, October 18, 2004 7:08 PM
>>> To: freebsd-questions at freebsd.org
>>> Subject: Re: Status of high-speed usb drivers

>>> Hello,
>>>  I want to start this email saying I'm a very devoted FreeBSD user.
>>> I've been using it a very long time. Did the subscription thing. Etc

>>> etc
>>>
>>>  That said, I'd very much like to know where on the horizon do USB
>>> 2.0 highspeed drivers sit? I've seen that current is now into 6.0
but
>>> from what I've read USB functionality is not even on the agenda.

>> ------------------------------
>> Message: 21 Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 15:47:12 +0100
>> From: Dick Davies <rasputnik at hellooperator.net>
>> Subject: Re: Status of high-speed usb drivers
>> To: Davon Shire <davon at shires.org>
>> Cc: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org>
>> Davon Shire <davon at shires.org> [1044 15:44]:

>> It's already in. man 4 ehci.

> Perhaps I'm not understanding my difficulty with this. As Mr Davies
seems to
> think that a man page is going to contain the answer I have asked for
in this
> post.

>  Having used FreeBSD for a Very long time I can appreciate Mr Davies
research
> skills. However this does not in any way answer my question so let me
> restate.

An unkind soul might suggest then that by now you should have learned to
format
mail sensibly and ask "good" questions.

> I have at no time been able to get High-Speed functionality out of my
USB 2.0
> Drives. When the umass driver loads I'm happily informed that I will
be
> getting essentially fullspeed from the device in question.

> ohci, uhci, ehci, umass modules are loaded. Devices hooked directly to
ehci
> connectors identify which of course they wouldn't if the ehci module
didn't
> load.

> Perhaps the problem is in the umass driver I can't say I know for
sure. but
> what I do know is I can get High-Speed IO happening on Linux, and in
Windows.
> But it just does not happen in FreeBSD as recent as 5.3Beta-7

> Now after reading this email. I hope people will realise that I'm not
someone
> who writes 'I've been using FreeBSD for a very long time.' to mean I
just
> thought I'd boot up this cool Unix distro called FreeBSD and see if  I
can
> find a bug.

> If I'm very much missing something in how USB 2.0 is suppose to
function in
> Freebsd. Please let me know. I have requested info about this many
times and
> so many times I get responses very much like Dick Davies gave.

Well, the a more effective approach might be might be to post a kernel
config,
uname -a and a dmesg, examples of what usb devices you are using and
what
transfer rates you are getting.

However, as the user base of usb using developers is pretty small they
probably
don't have access to the devices you have and so probably your problem
doesn't
scratch any itch that they have.

What I tend to try and avoid is using a bulldozer to take the kids to
daycare.

In other words Linux is well suited to desktop use with lots of odd
funky
device support and should I require that,  I would probably run some
linux
variant.

My servers run FreeBSD.

I'm not trying to be snotty or anything, this is just the way things
are.
If you have a popular piece of hardware it will probably get support.

Good luck - oh and my Pentax Camera doesn't work at all under 'BSD....
nor
my usb-bluetooth dongle ;-)