Status of high-speed usb drivers

Davon Shire davon at shires.org
Mon Oct 18 10:08:40 PDT 2004

Message: 20 Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 09:43:13 -0500 From: Davon Shire
<davon at shires.org> Subject: Status of high-speed usb drivers To:
freebsd-questions at freebsd.org Message-ID: <4173D681.3010607 at shires.org>
want to start this email saying I'm a very devoted FreeBSD user. I've
been using it a very long time. Did the subscription thing. Etc etc That
said, I'd very much like to know where on the horizon do USB 2.0
highspeed drivers sit? I've seen that current is now into 6.0 but from
what I've read USB functionality is not even on the agenda. In my
research I've noted that Freebsd got it's usb driver code from NetBSD
but that isochronous and high-speed functionality are not currently
implimented. I've asked about it now for more than 2 years with rarely a
reply more insightful or relevent than . 'Do you have ehci driver
loaded? You can't use the highspeed without it.' Please anyone within
sight of my email, please give me and the rest of our Freebsd users some
idea of when this will be working or what's holding it up. I even
voluntered my time and skills to work on this problem if someone would
reply and heard nothing. Linux has High-Speed USB, Windows has
High-Speed USB, I'd very much like to use this connectivity. Thank you
for your time and efforts on everything. Davon
------------------------------ Message: 21 Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004
15:47:12 +0100 From: Dick Davies <rasputnik at hellooperator.net> Subject:
Re: Status of high-speed usb drivers To: Davon Shire <davon at shires.org>
Cc: FreeBSD Questions <freebsd-questions at freebsd.org> Message-ID:
<20041018144712.GB19068 at lb.tenfour> Content-Type: text/plain;
charset=us-ascii * Davon Shire <davon at shires.org> [1044 15:44]:

>> Hello,
>>  I want to start this email saying I'm a very devoted FreeBSD user.
>> I've been using it a very long time. Did the subscription thing. Etc etc
>>
>>  That said, I'd very much like to know where on the horizon do USB 2.0
>> highspeed drivers sit? I've seen that current is now into 6.0 but from what
>> I've read USB functionality is not even on the agenda.

It's already in. man 4 ehci.

 Perhaps I'm not understanding my difficulty with this. As Mr Davies seems to think that a man page is going to contain the answer I have asked for in this post.

 Having used FreeBSD for a Very long time I can appreciate Mr Davies research skills. However this does not in any way answer my question so let me restate.

I have at no time been able to get High-Speed functionality out of my USB 2.0 Drives. When the umass driver loads I'm happily informed that I will be getting essentially fullspeed from the device in question.

ohci, uhci, ehci, umass modules are loaded. Devices hooked directly to ehci connectors identify which of course they wouldn't if the ehci module didn't load.

Perhaps the problem is in the umass driver I can't say I know for sure. but what I do know is I can get High-Speed IO happening on Linux, and in Windows. But it just does not happen in FreeBSD as recent as 5.3Beta-7

Now after reading this email. I hope people will realise that I'm not someone who writes 'I've been using FreeBSD for a very long time.' to mean I just thought I'd boot up this cool Unix distro called FreeBSD and see if  I can find a bug.

If I'm very much missing something in how USB 2.0 is suppose to function in Freebsd. Please let me know. I have requested info about this many times and so many times I get responses very much like Dick Davies gave.

I do appreciate Dick Davies for giving a response though perhaps it wasn't well thought out. He certainly did reply. Thank you.

And thank you in advance to any/everyone else who will think, reply and work on this question.

Sincerely

Davon Shire.