Recover lost ttyps

Karel J. Bosschaart karelj at kayjay.nl
Mon Oct 18 02:49:27 PDT 2004

On Mon, Oct 18, 2004 at 11:30:02AM +0200, Andreas Widerøe Andersen wrote:
> Hi,
> Is there a simple way (as root) to recover lost ttyps?

Not that I know, but I would be interested to know if it is possible. Does
the process (port build for example) still run? When it happens to me, the
processes in the ttyp usually are killed, except when run with 'nohup'.

> Example: I'm rebuilding some ports and while this is done the ADSL line is
> disconnected. A few seconds later I'm back online, but the ttyp0 is lost
> and I'm now logged in as root on ttyp1.

I use 'screen' (it's in ports: misc/screen) nowadays to work around the
problems when a connection is dropped and I'm very happy with it:
http://www.gnu.org/software/screen/ .
I'm using it right now to do a buildworld in a KDE session; if KDE or
X would crash, the buildworld does not stop and I can simply reconnect :-).

Karel.