dummynet

synrat synrat at wirewalk.org
Sun Oct 17 20:48:03 PDT 2004

yeah it kinda seems broken. i can see the pipes being
hit by traffic, but no bandwidth limitation is done whatsoever.
I tried specifying dedicated port based pipes, that didn't work,
I tried using queues for port specification while specifying pipes
with the the same port numbers, that didn't work. I tried connecting
pipes to the queues, no result as well.

for example, to limit outgoing ftp, I tried this,

	${fwcmd} add pipe 6 tcp from ${oip} 21 to any out xmit ${oif}
   	${fwcmd} pipe 6 config bw $2Kbit/s

no effect.

	${fwcmd} add pipe 6 tcp from ${oip} 21 to any out xmit ${oif}
	${fwcmd} pipe 6 config bw $2Kbit/s
	${fwcmd} add queue 6 tcp from ${oip} 21 to any out

no effect.

	${fwcmd} add pipe 6 tcp from ${oip} 21 to any out xmit ${oif}
	${fwcmd} pipe 6 config bw $2Kbit/s
	${fwcmd} add queue 6 tcp from ${oip} 21 to any out
	${fwcmd} queue 6 config pipe 6

setsockopt error.

I guess it craps out when trying to bind queue to the pipe. Why ?? who
knows.... I really can't make much sense from what I've read about
dummynet in ipfw and dummynet man pages, if anyone knows of a good
manual, please let me know.