4.10 startup sequencing

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Sun Oct 17 12:44:48 PDT 2004

JohnsoBS at vicksburg.navy.mil wrote:

> You could remove all the startup scripts from rc.conf and put them in
> numbered order in /usr/local/etc/rc.d
>
> 010.milter
> 020.sendmail
> 030.etc

sendmail startup is triggered by mta_start_script in rc,
with mta_start_script defaulted in /etc/defaults/rc.conf not from
rc.conf, so I'd have to tweak rc anyway to do that.
Or are you suggesting setting mta_start_script to null in /etc/rc.conf
to prevent its starting "normally", then start it via
/usr/local/etc/rc.d?
That seems a bit convoluted, but it would work.

h wrote:
> i'm not sure about the order but have you tried rc.local ?

rc.local fires after sendmail has been started