vmware3 and spontanious reboots

dick hoogendijk dick at nagual.st
Sun Oct 17 12:18:55 PDT 2004

I run vmware3 on a FreeBSD-4.10p3 system. I have a Duron-800 processor,
so it's a rather slow machine. I have experienced about five sudden
reboots, which are unexplained to me. They all happened while my virtual
win98se had heavy disk activity. Sometimes transfering files, sometimes
while I wanted to start up mozilla in X, outside the vm. It looks like
something goes wrong accessing the harddisk.

Recently I rebuilded my kernel with HZ=1200 and changed the vmware
config file to have vmnet1, vmnet2 etc... The virtual machines are
configered "ethernet=custom --> /dev/vmnetx"

I wonder: could it be that the instability of my system has something to
do with the changed HZ=1200 (default hz=100) or is it better to have a
HostOnly vm-machine on /dev/vmnet1 or what?

Could somebody suggest me some things to look into, figuring out this
strange behaviour. I don't like these reboots at all.

--
dick -- http://www.nagual.st/ -- PGP/GnuPG key: F86289CE
++ Running FreeBSD 4.10 ++ Debian GNU/Linux (Woody)