FreeBSD PVR Solution -- any?

Mark Beaver beaverm at corp.earthlink.net
Sat Oct 16 22:49:08 PDT 2004

I'd like to build a FreeBSD based PVR station with at least Svideo output
and ideally digital coax sound (maybe not dolby digital)

Currently I have:

P3 350
448 Megs of ram
160Gigs of storage

I'd like to know if anyone has had any luck with this type of system if so,
what kind of hardware.

If anyone thinks I'd need more hardware, please by all means let me know
what you've had work for you, (working on a budget so nothing extra
ordinary) I more or less just want a system that will record reasonably
well, and possibly play back simultaneously if possible (given budget)

Anyone have any suggestions ideas?

FWIW: I'm looking for video cards w/ svideo out, and an encoder card
(Hauppauge, or the like)

Thanks,

Mark