installation of sendmail milters, security questions

Gary Aitken garya at dreamchaser.org
Sat Oct 16 18:56:40 PDT 2004

Hello all,

Searches on freebsd.org, google and sendmail.org didn't really resolve
this to my satisfaction; probably my lack of brain cells...

Trying to install milter-greylist.
After configuring sendmail, and without the milter-greylist daemon
running, maillog contains messages of the type:

sm-mta[59533]: i9H12H4P059533: Milter (greylist): local socket name
/var/milter-greylist/milter-greylist.sock unsafe

 From what I've been able to dig up, this is because sendmail thinks
it's unsafe to read/write that socket.
Since milter-greylist was not actually running when I did this,
(I hadn't started it manually or configured a script to auto start it)
I assumed it had something to do with directory prermissions /
ownership.

Upon checking, I discovered /var/milter-greylist was owned by smmsp,
so I changed it to root.  Unfortunately, that didn't solve the
problem.

I'm at a loss to understand what else is causing sendmail to think
that socket is unsafe.  Can someone hand me a clue?

Thanks,

Gary