gtk-sharp build hangs

Tom McLaughlin tmclaugh at sdf.lonestar.org
Sat Oct 16 13:21:15 PDT 2004

On Sat, 2004-10-16 at 16:01 +0200, Benjamin Walkenhorst wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I am just trying to install gtk-sharp from ports. mono installed just
> fine, but the gtk-sharp build seems to hang at some point:
>
> <snip>
>
> At this point mono will start eating huge amount of cpu-cycles. I don't
> know if this is to be expected, but after mono had gathered about an
> hour of cpu-time, I aborted.
> I'm going to give it another try tonight, but I wanted to ask, if it is
> normal for a gtk-sharp build to take so long.
> The machine is a dual AthlonMP 2400+ (only one cpu used for building)
> with 512MB RAM, the system is 5.3-BETA7.
> mono is version 1.0_1 and gtk-sharp - as you can see above - is version
> 1.0_2
>
> Thank you very much,
> Benjamin

Simple solution:
cd /usr/ports/x11-toolkits/gtk-sharp/ && make clean && make install
(repeat as necessary)

Long solution:
Someone needs to look at the threading issues with Mono and FreeBSD.  If
anyone is interested I can gladly point them to a number of reproducible
crashes.  I keep the mono ports up to date myself while the regular
maintainer is away plus I've added some new ports.  My project site is
in my sig and you can download mono-merge.tar.gz from there to work with
the latest versions of Mono.

Tom

--

BSD# Project - Porting Mono to FreeBSD