atapicam, cdrecord, and my gaping clue deficiency

Peter Seebach seebs at plethora.net
Fri Oct 15 12:35:27 PDT 2004

In message <200410152124.47313.freebsdbeni at spymac.com>, FreeBsdBeni writes:
>I'm having _exactly_ the same problem... :-( Mine is a Pioneer DVR-107D,
>firmware v1.18 on a 5.2.1-REL-p11.

>dmesg :
>cd1 at ata1 bus 0 target 0 lun 0
>cd1: <PIONEER DVD-RW  DVR-107D 1.18> Removable CD-ROM SCSI-0 device
>cd1: 16.000MB/s transfers.

>I got the same reply from mr. Schilling and I haven't found any solution
>yet... Could it be something with the drives/firmware ?

What's your motherboard?  Mine's a SuperMicro X5DE8-GG.

And... With FreeBSD 5.3beta7, it works fine.

I found one other reference to problems with the ServerWorks CSB6 chipset
under FreeBSD 5.2.1.

Anyway, upgrading to 5.3beta7 made my problem go away, as well as my
mysterious bus errors.  (And before anyone says "bad memory", yes, I know;
I ran memtest for a day, ran burnMMX and burnP6 several times at once for
a day, and the machine has ECC, and has no events in the event log.)

(I can't do any more testing, I'm afraid, as the machine has been shipped
away, now that it's working.)

-s