OSS sound driver doesnt work

Jan Christian Meyer jcm at metawire.org
Fri Oct 15 07:50:32 PDT 2004

>> In KDE, I am using the aRts sound driver, if that helps. And I hope I
>> have made sense, I am not good at requesting help.
>
> You can work around it by disabling arts from KDE Control Panel ("sound
> system" or smth), I had to do it on my 4.10 box (FM-801 crappy PCI
> soundcard).

If I've understood it correctly, the OSS driver will fail under aRts
because aRts is already occupying the sound device when OSS tries to
access it. Disabling aRts should not be necessary, though - there is an
aRts audio output plugin for XMMS in the ports tree, under
/usr/ports/audio/xmms-arts.

Cheers,
 -Jan Christian