configuring php to work with mysql

Matthew Seaman m.seaman at infracaninophile.co.uk
Thu Oct 14 03:37:25 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 05:12:51AM -0400, David Banning wrote:
> I am having to reinstall my php and apache 1.3.  I installed apache13
> straight from the ports with no options, and then I installed
> php4_mysql from the ports also. php is running but it does not
> connect to mysql.
>
> In looking at phpinfo() I notice the configuration options;
>
> './configure' '--enable-versioning' '--enable-memory-limit' '--with-layout=GNU' '--with-config-file-scan-dir=/usr/local/etc/php' '--disable-all' '--with-regex=php' '--with-apxs=/usr/local/sbin/apxs' '--prefix=/usr/local' 'i386-portbld-freebsd4.8'
>
> don't seem to have any reference to mysql. Stange, considering that
> the port, specifically is entitled "php4_mysql".

To get the most minor nit out of the way first: the port is called
php4-mysql.

And, no you won't see MySQL amongst the configuration options for the
base PHP executable.  That's because nowadays the MySQL support is
built completely separately as a loadable module.  You should have
read the 20040719 entry in /usr/ports/UPDATING where this is
explained.

Try running:

    % php -m

which will tell you about all of the loadable modules you've got
available.  Look more closely at the phpinfo() output -- there should
be a whole section on MySQL later on.  If that isn't there, then you
need to pay some attention to your /usr/local/etc/php.ini file: if you
use the default one provided by the lang/php4 port, everything should
just work.

	Cheers,

	Matthew

                                                      Savill Way