Compiling 4-RELEASE on 5-STABLE

Erik Trulsson ertr1013 at student.uu.se
Thu Oct 14 03:06:22 PDT 2004

On Thu, Oct 14, 2004 at 09:52:52AM +0530, Subhro wrote:
> On Thu, 14 Oct 2004 00:11:05 -0400 (EDT), John Gillis <zefram at zefram.net> wrote:
> >        My apologies if this has already been asked. I'd like to upgrade
> > my non-production machines to 5.3
>
> Nice idea
>
>  once it is released, however I'd like
> > the production servers to lag behind once I make sure everything is
> > working right.
>
> If everything is not working right, then 5.3 wouldnever be tagged
> STABLE. This is not Windows.

5.3 will have bugs even when tagged -stable. I can guarantee that once
5.3 is released and people start using it more widely there will be new
problems being reported that haven't been discovered yet.

> 4.10-R uses gcc 2.95 and 5.3 uses gcc 3.4. The binaries compiled with
> the later are not backward compatble.

You do realise that you can install gcc 3.4 on a 4.x machine and run
the binaries compiled with it?
For C++ the ABI has changed a couple of times betwenn gcc 2.95 and gcc
3.4, but for C everything should work fine, as long as you link against
the right libraries.

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson